Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Fabrication of linear and non-linear devices??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeet_asic

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to fabricate a device whose pull-up network is a "Resistance" and pull down network is a " NMOS gate" . Resistance is directly connected to Source of Nmos.

Since Resistance is linear and NMOS is non linear device , so is it possible to fabricate them ??? :?:

Example : Taking CMOS inverter circuit , replace PMOS gate with Resistance ####

Dear jeet_asic
Hi
What do you want to do , clearly ?
Do you want analyze a cmos pair ? can you tell me abit more explanation ?
Regards
Goldsmith

Before CMOS, microprocessors were made with just NMOS. The NMOS load was resistive connected to the DRAIN (not the SOURCE as you suggested). In reality the loads weren't pure resistors, I believe, but resistor connected transistors.

Anyway, it is perfectly possible to use a resistive loads. A lot of microcontrollers allow you to do that. Configure the output as open drain and add an external pullup resistor.

Keith

Dear keith
Hi
I think using a current source at drain will be pretty better , for example a current mirror . isn't it ?
Regards
Goldsmith

Goldsmith,

I don't think the question was 'what is better' but about what can and cannot be made. What he has asked can certainly be made and was the norm many years ago.

Keith

Hi smith

I just wanted to know whether fabrication of linear and non-linear devices when combined together is allowed or not. If not , then why ?

i mean to say that , if i replace PMOS gate with a resistance (in an CMOS inverter circuit) and connect that resistance to VDD . I read somewhere that fabrication of "combination of linear and non linear circuits is not possible" .
Dear jeet_asic
Hi
What do you want to do , clearly ?
Do you want analyze a cmos pair ? can you tell me abit more explanation ?
Regards
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Hey keith , sorry i forgot to add certain things , that one side of Resistance is connected to VDD and other to DRAIN of NMOS (just replace PMOS gate in CMOS inverter circuit with resistance . )
Before CMOS, microprocessors were made with just NMOS. The NMOS load was resistive connected to the DRAIN (not the SOURCE as you suggested). In reality the loads weren't pure resistors, I believe, but resistor connected transistors.

Anyway, it is perfectly possible to use a resistive loads. A lot of microcontrollers allow you to do that. Configure the output as open drain and add an external pullup resistor.

Keith

Yes, that was my understanding. What I said still stands. I think the loads in old NMOS logic were probably depletion NMOS but there are probably more experienced people who can correct me if I am wrong.

With a modern CMOS process you could use a polysilicon of diffusion resistor load but you have have to have a good reason for doing it rather than simply using CMOS - a CMOS gate would be smaller, take less power and be faster with better drive and noise immunity.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back