Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending/Halving the time of a timing motor, 120V, 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pben613

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in adjusting the speed of a timing motor. This motor is part of a cam timer for an oven, similar to a dryer. I was hoping to slow the motor down to change a 1 hour cycle to a 2 hour cycle.

The timer motor is 120vac 60 Hz 2 wire AC motor (3 watt).

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:

Most likely it's a synchronous motor. Driving it with 30 Hz 60 VAC should work.

Most likely it's a synchronous motor. Driving it with 30 Hz 60 VAC should work.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure how to accomplish it. It is a synchronous motor. My first idea got to complicated. I was going to use a cycle timer to stop and start the motor every 10 sec.

I was hoping there was a better idea floating around.

Am I looking at VFD or is there something even simpler for a 3 watt application?

Thanks,

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think I could put a delay-on relay on the timer motor to extend the oven cycle? Where the timing motor doesn't start for a set period of time.

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:

This schematic can divide incoming mains AC frequency by two (in theory).

The control circuit will be tricky.

Somewhere it will have a flip flop (which implies a low voltage device). The input will be triggered by the 60 Hz sinewave.
The flip flop divides-by-two. The output is applied to the mosfet gates. This requires it be stepped up to 170 V or so.

So I made it easy on myself by using a 'generic clock', alternating between 0 and 170 V.

I don't know for certain that the above will work. It's just a concept.

It is a synchronous motor. My first idea got to complicated. I was going to use a cycle timer to stop and start the motor every 10 sec.
I appreciate the idea. The effort is most likely considerable smaller than for a VFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back