Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expression of current in multilayer coils... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromatik

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I was asking myself if there's an expression of the B-field produced by a solenoid coil.
For a single layer, this is quite easy:
B = mu * N * I
where mu is the permeability, N is the number of turns and I the injected current.

But when you have X layers, how does this working ?

I'm working on it, but if you have some kind of advice or paper that could help me, that would be geat !

Thanks in advance !

Clearly, for a long (L >> D) coil, this expression is valid
H = N * I
Your expression is only valid, if µ is constant over the complete region (in- and outside the coil. In practice, it only applies for µr = 1.

Because the expression doesn't contain a D parameter, it would be valid also for multiple layers of different diameter. But I doubt, that it helps with practical solenoid problems. In the general case, you can integrate Biot-Savarts rule to get the field of arbitrary rotation symmetrical coil geometries. But it still doesn't describe fields of coils with inhomogenous µr, e.g. any solenoid with a core. Except for very simple cases, numerical methods are required for an exact solution.

The right forum would be Mathematics & Physics or Electronic Elementary Questions, I think.

And more, this equation is valid for a long coil, I mean the diameter is really smaller than the length.

Thanks, I will switch to the appropriated section.
If any moderator can do the little work ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.