Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Export HFSS to layout (DXF / Gerber)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss gerber

Hi,

I've made some 3D designs in HFSS and now want to export them for PCB fabrication. What I had done in the past was to use HFSS -> SAT export -> AutoCad import of SAT -> DXF export -> ADS/Momentum DXF import -> Gerber export

However, this doesn't work very well with what designs I have (the DXFs don't have gaps in the ground planes like they are in HFSS) and other small issues.

Does anybody have recommendations on a better way? Ideally I'd like to be able to manipulate the designs in something like Momentum (putting a few PCBs together on a larger sheet, etc.) before exporting the final result.

Thanks in advance!

hfss export

And unfortunately I still don't recal the exact thread but it is here somewhere. Spend some time with "search".

The basic idea is that an exported *.dxf captures the portion of a model that crosses the xy plane. Moving the 3D model and exporting successive *.dxf's creates a series of 2D views of the 3D model (HFSS).

hfss export dxf

I've done this many times in the past; just it becomes very tedious for large models and/or lots of them.

Is there any other alternative apart from HFSS -> Momentum/ADS -> Gerber?

Thanks!

export hfss to ads

One trick that comes to mind is to record a script that moves the model and then exports a *.dxf and then moves the model again and so on.

That makes the process less tedious and error prone.

Unfortunately, nothing is ever easy. Actually, if you have a lot of layers to export this should give you an easy "automatic" method.

hfss to gbr

Ansoft Designer will also export gerbers if you have access to it. I usually export a DXF from HFSS, and then import it to Designer. There may be an easier way to import to Designer, but I haven't tried since that method works.

3d layout at hfss

I think Designer is supposed to open HFSS files directly; is that correct?

Unfortunately Designer doesn't work on my machine properly so I can't test that out right now...

Anyway thanks for the suggestions; I'll try a few things and report back.

Best!

export hfss to 3d dxf

I have a problem with HFSS export to dxf.
My structure has a microwave stub (it has an arc). Unfortunately, after exporting it and reading with AutoCad, or ADS, the arc is very simplified - it consists only of 2 lines, so basically it is useless. Is it possible to force HFSS to use bigger accuracy for dxf export?

Re: hfss gerber

Hi,

I've made some 3D designs in HFSS and now want to export them for PCB fabrication. What I had done in the past was to use HFSS -> SAT export -> AutoCad import of SAT -> DXF export -> ADS/Momentum DXF import -> Gerber export

However, this doesn't work very well with what designs I have (the DXFs don't have gaps in the ground planes like they are in HFSS) and other small issues.

Does anybody have recommendations on a better way? Ideally I'd like to be able to manipulate the designs in something like Momentum (putting a few PCBs together on a larger sheet, etc.) before exporting the final result.

Thanks in advance!

hey what i have done is to draw the entire antenna in some softwares like coreldraw etc..
but the antenna i dd are normally simple ones with a couple of right angle slots or a U slot..
coreldraw makes the antenna layout easier to draw..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back