Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explanation of DRC violations in Magma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hards

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all
Rt now i am working in Magma...Blast Fusion
In magma, in the routing stage we are checking for DRC. There are many types of DRC violations like
- spaces
- shorts
- notch
- island
- end of line
- via overhang etc.

but i dont know what each violations are..

can any body explain all this violations and give me material regarding to this ??????

lvs text shorts

I can try explaining some of them:

- spaces: There is a spacing violation between two pieces of metal. You have the rule set which sets the minumum distance two pieces of metal can be to each other. This rule is being violated.

- shorts: You have a short (atleast one)

- notch: I forgot what this is

- island: You have a metal Island

- end of line: I forgot what this is

- via overhang etc: I think this one talks about Via not aligned properly or is sticking uot of a metal.

All these rules are defined is come rule file that you have read, you need to fix these problems for DRC/LVS to pass.

DRC & LVS.......

- spaces
&& Check the Error or Voilation , refer to that DRC rule and verify in the location of your design

- shorts ( Could be Metal Shorts , you have not specified exactly about this ,in LVS this could be VDD / VSS Shorts , or Text placed on 2 metal layers causes shorts , same net shorts etc )
- notch ( This could be a small gap to very , fill or extend to avoid this
- island
- end of line , ie the min of spacing surrounding a VIA on all the sides
- via overhang etc similar to the above ,

ofcourse finally you have use manual , App notes to know about this quickly .

I hope this helps a little

Re: DRC & LVS.......

At first you have to have the design rule of your technology. If you have it you can refer all the violation to it and then by their information you can fix them.
by the way i think Shorts is not DRC violation.it is something related to LVS .

DRC & LVS.......

I am using hercules tool for LVS
LVS_ERROR file is vry confusing ... like co-ordinates r not pointing to faulty location ...they r pointing to ploy of device ..
n later checking all connections ..... i found open
but where shud i connect this terminal ..
will there be any clue in LVS or Hit and trial method to be followed?
plz reply
Thanks
Shiv

DRC & LVS.......

You can try using VUE along with hercules.
This is similar to the RVE (Result Viewing Environment) with Calibre.
This will enable you to view the errors graphically and in the layout which is much easier to debug than looking at the LVS report from Hercules.

--Cmos_Dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back