Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explanation for the experiment..related to micro structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roolit

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I came across this interesting experiment but I couldnt follow some part in the end.. Can anyone explain?

" Imagine you have a box filled with several glass marbles. Now you give the box a good shake and place it on a table. When opening the box now, where would you expect to find the marbles? Well, our everyday experience tells us, they will be on the bottom of the box.
Now imagine we use the same box but replace the glass marbles by tiny ones with a diameter of several micrometer (the thousandth part of a millimetre). Now we close the box again and give it a good shake. When opening the box now, where would you expect to find the marbles?
On the bottom again?
This is where our macro-world experience mislead us. The marbles would be equally distributed on each surface of the inside of the box, sticking to bottom, side-walls and the lid. This is due to the fact that when reducing the size of a body to micro-dimensions the gravitational force becomes more and more unimportant compared to other forces acting on the body.
More specific, the gravitational force being a volumetric force scales with L3, whereas surface forces like the electrostatic force scale with L2. This means when reducing the dimensions of a body by a factor of 1000, the gravitational force is reduced by a factor of 1000-3 = 10-9 whereas the electrostatic force is reduced by 10-6.
Therefore, the weight of a body can be neglected in almost all instances when dealing with MEMS devices, except in special devices such as accelerometers."

My doubt is.. why is there an equal distribution of the micro-marbles? I understood that, gravity will have not an effect at that scale but i didn't follow why there should be an equal distribution of the marbles inside the bottle... Thanks for your help in advance?

The actual details are too complex in the experiment under discussion. At shorter length scale Heisenbers uncertainty principle will also come into picture.
But for now, the reaon for unifrom distribution is simply that if there are few particles with static electric charge, if they are fee to move, the final arrangement of the particles would correspond to minimum energy state that requires uniformdistribution of the particle as all the particles will havu mutual repulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back