Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expanding LED Aray on Sound To Ligth controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomlyHardWired

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Hi have a 12v sound to light controller much like this:
**broken link removed**

Which i'd like to use to drive a much larger array of lights.
I could just ad a bunch more of these cheap kits but the problem with that would be the frequent sensitivity adjustments.... it's not an issue to adjust one... but to have to "sync" a whole bunch of em would not be fun.

I assume i can disconnect the lights from the box i have and use its output to drive something that in turn could in theory drive an infinite large array of lights.

How should i go about achieving this? Mosfets? Optocouplers? I know for sure good old automotive relays are way too slow....

Without having a schematic, parts list and parts layout then it is very difficult to modify the circuit.

Well i'm not wanting to modify anything....
I want to take a wire cutter.... and cut the wires coming from the control box (thats goign to the lights).
Put the lights aside.... i now got wires that have 12v whenever the control box wants the lights to be on, but since i cut the wires they are no longer connected to the lights. The lights draw next to nothing in power.... and the fuse that came with the box is a mer 1.5amp. Therefor i assume the control box is not able to handle much more than the lights it came with.

I want to use the "weak power" coming from the box to "drive" a more powerful circuit that should be able to handle more amps.

I basically need something that works like a relay, only much faster so it can keep up with the beat.

I'm not all that familiar with the "chips" and "dips", but if i haven't missunderstood what i've been reading... an optocoupler or mosfet of some kind should do the trick? Would it not be a "one chip solution"? Am I totally wrong here?

Suggestions anyone?

Are the lights neon tubes? Then they operate from thousands of volts.

Is the voltage stepup transformer built into the base of each neon tube?

Can you ask the Chinese manufacturer the frequency, voltage and current that is fed to each transformer?

Well my lights are LED and most of
these Chinese stuff that say "neon" is well.. "pseudo neon".

It originally came with a lighter plug thing (though it now is hardwired).
So it takes 12v.. (or more like 13v since automotive power tend to fluctuate but is generally considered a 12v system, right?).

Never the less... the control box is simple...
It has two pairs of wires coming out of it... These wires provide 12v when ever the lights are suppose to be on, however like i said the amperage limit of these outputs are very low.

I only need something thats works like a relay only faster... as relays (at least the ones i have) wont keep up with the beat.

It can't be all that complicated to take a low amp 12v source and use it to control a higher amp 12v load?

I've attached a drawing, i don't know how to make it any clearer....

If the light tubes have LEDs then you would see dark spots between them because an LED shines only in one narrow direction.
But neon tubes shine evenly all around like shown.

The neon tube controller makes an AC control signal that is stepped up to thousands of volts by the two transformers that are shown in the block diagram.
LEDs don't use a transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.