Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Evaluating S-Parameter when Not Match Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

taik

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Normally when we are using a set of S-Parameter, we are told that it's matched terminated.

For e.g a 2-port parameters, it is S= [S11 S12;S21 S22]

Now if my output is connected to a load which is not matched terminated, for e.g R.

Is there any way to find my new S-parameters by making use of the S-parameters given above?

Thank you.

Dear Taik,
I suppose you have not got the meaning of S-parameters completely. When you terminate the output port of s 2-port network with a load you will end with a 1-port network. If the load does not changes the 2-port parametrs (I mean it does not load your previous network) you will be able to derive the S11 of the resulting 1-port network with simple mathematics.

[b2 b1]=S [a2 a1]
b2=f(a2)

=>

b1=g(a1)

Hi Eastern,

Yup, I might not understand it fully.

Still trying to comprehend the whole thing.

But for my question, if I am given the S-Parameter of a 2-Port network and now a load of R is placed at port 2, how do I find the resulting s-parameter matrix?

Thank you

Hi Taik,

Lets suppose we have got a 2-port network described with S-parameters:

eq. 1: b2=s22*a2 + s21*a1
eq. 2: b1=s12*a2 + s11*a1

then we also suppose that the second port is terminated to R, and we denote the reference port impedances by R0. So we may easily write:

eq. 3: b2=G*a2
where
eq. 4: G=(R-R0)/(R+R0)

ommiting b2 and a2 from equations 1-3 yeilding:

eq. 5: b1=(s1 + s12*s21/(G-S22) )*a1

and this is the port parameter for the new 1-port circuit. obviously:

eq. 6: s11(new)=(s1 + s12*s21/(G-S22) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor