Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking for discussion and/or comparison between 1Gbps Ethernet and USB 3.0 with their future perspectives.

1G Ethernet has bit rate 1 G bits per second while USB 3.0 has 5 G bits per second.

What is the maximum possible data rate for 1G Ethernet after removing all TCP packet overheads ?
What is the maximum possible data rate for USB 3.0 after removing packet overheads ?

In near future which protocol is becoming more common and standard to transfer data between FPGA development board and PC ?

You're comparing apples and doorknobs. Although you could use either for certain situations, there are profound differences. Ethernet is intended for networking multiple computers; USB is intended to connect peripherals to a host (that's probably why you don't have ethernet thumb drives). Ethernet can run about 100 meters; USB 3 can run a maximum of 3 meters.

I don't think there's a "standard" for transferring data from development boards to PCs. It really depends on the application.

What is the maximum possible data rate for 1G Ethernet after removing all TCP packet overheads ?
What is the maximum possible data rate for USB 3.0 after removing packet overheads ?

If you remove the packet overheads its not USB or Ethernet...Your reply is also a bit un-polite shall we say...

While there is no real & exact answer to these "ideal situation" question, here is a website where the author has done extensive calculations which could help you on the gigabit Ethernet question.

For the USB part, have a look at the section titled Data Encoding on this website.

(use google. I did. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…