Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet solution ASIX AX11XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

eflatun

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mcf52235 performance

Hello everyone,

I have participated in a project. We need to send the data from 32-channels to PC using ethernet interface. Now I am seeking for the best solution to implement the interface. I have been searching for two days for the MCUs which have ethernet capability and found some useful ones. One of them are AX11XX series SoC (System-on-chip) units from ASIX. They have many good features that distinguishes them from its similars such as PIC18F97J60 and MFC5223X:

- On-chip TCP/IP stack
- 100 MIPS (pipelined RISC)
- All in one (MCU+PHY+Ethernet Controller)
- 5 DMA channels

Is there anyone who has ever used these chips? I couldnt find any comment over the internet about neither these chips nor ASIX.

I appreciate if you can share your experiences with me.

Thanks

www.meg.com.tr

Hi,

I'm using AX11025 in my previous and ongoing projects. It is very cheap and running quite reliable. If you are familiar with 8051 or any other 8 bit mcu's, it is easy to develop software. With the TCP/IP stack supplied by the manufacturer, you don't need to go into most of the the ethernet stuff. Its firmware can be upgraded through the network.

Although manufacturer recommends at least four layer board, i'm designing with two. I have a design in which asix run on 50MHz only, because other frequencies make external ram usage unstable. I recommend using serial resistors in data bus between mcu and ram. And you need to use a 128 byte or similar I2C EEPROM to use all functions on the mcu. I couldn't get CAN bus work without the EEPROM :).

I hope this late reply gives you an idea.

Selcuk

Hi Selcuk Bey,

Thanks a lot for your reply. As you said, however, it's a little bit late :) I have been utilizing MCF52235 from freescale for months and the project I am working on is about to finalize. I am very satisfied with the IC and its developer board. Freescale supplies the users with a free TCP/IP stack. But it is just a software not hardwired as it is in the ASIX chips. I do not know which one is more reliable hardwired or soft.. But as I said I am quite happy with the freescale chip.

Do you think documentation and example codes from ASIX is satisfactory? Which compiler are you using? Is that free?

I appreciate if you answer to these questions.
Thanks again for your reply.

Yahya

Merhaba Yahya Bey,

Interestingly I've also tried MCF52235 along with AX11025. MCF52235 is a 32 bit mcu and ax11025 is an 8051 compatible 8 bit one. It is difficult to compare the two both in performance and price. Nevertheless ax11025 is well suited for my project and has useful capabilities.

Although you can find much more detailed datasheets, application notes and user posts about Freescale mcu's, the documents Asix supplied are quite enough. Besides they have support engineers replied all the e-mails I've sent. I'm using Keil complier and it's not free.

Freescale stack has a simple opertaing system and the other doesn't have that. But I'm fine without an OS. For both mcu's the stack is soft. Asix hardware can process arp packets but that is optional and you can still use and edit software stack in all layers.

Regards,

Selcuk

Dear Selcuk,

Thanks again for your detailed answer. I am glad to hear that ASIX have good supportive stuff.

Can I get your e-mail address in case I have further questions?

I work for Teknikom Elk. designing voice recorders.

www.teknikom.com
e-mail: yahya@teknikom.com

Thanks
Yahya

Status
Not open for further replies.