Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ethernet communication with a fpga. how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calico

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga ethernet communication

Hi, i have designed a board with a spartan 3, 200K gates. In that board i included a rs486 full duplex transceiver with the porpouse of monitorization from our pc software. But i also included a connector with a lot of pins from the fpga with future expansion pourpose. Now i am thinking about the posibility of incorporating an tcp/udp/ip communication; About the software part (i use microblaze in the fpga) i now about a little implementation of a tcp/ip stack named uIP:
https://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/
But i need a piece of hardware also to obtain an ethernet port, perhaps a core inplementing a kind of ethernet controller and also a transceiver external to the fpga like the case of the rs485. But that part is unknown by me. Could you please give me a little orientation about the possibilities and the general viability of that?

Thank you in advanced.

ethernet communication through fpga

try this link it might help
https://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html

"The Ethernet full-duplex protocol is easy to implement in an FPGA. The goal here is to interface an FPGA to a 10BASE-T connection."

regards.

fpga ethernet 10base-t phy

It can be done. There are many posibilities.

Perhaps, the easiest way is to use an MAC+PHY ethernet chip whit parallel interface, like LAN91C111. More popular and easy to find are chips with PCI interface, but you'll have to implement PCI interface in your FPGA, and uB's PCI port isn't free.

There are cores for MAC. You can use one of them and search for a PHY ethernet chip with MII interface.

I don't know about ready-to-use PHY cores.

Good luck. It's a very interesting proyect. You'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back