Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Estimate inductor Q factor, for thin layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK245230

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to estimate the Q factor of inductors on PCB.
My inductor would have an outer diameter of 4cm and 10 turns. The thickness of copper on PCB is 35um.
I tried to do a 3D FEM simulation with COMSOL, but I had some troubles because it was hard to mesh it correctly. Indeed, for simulating Q factor you need a very fine meshing and as I have a thickness of 35um for a 4cm coil, the number of mesh is very high. Plus COMSOL isn't a very friendly tool, so it's hard to mesh it correctly.

So my question is not about how to mesh my coil in COMSOL, but more general, if I am going in the right direction.
What I want, is to design a coil on PCB with the right Q factor. So for that I need a way to estimate it.

Maybe I am doing the wrong simulation and there is a simplest way for estimating it.
Maybe I should use another simulator for doing that (HFSS, EmPro, MOMENTUM, Sonnet).
Maybe it's impossible to simulate what I want.
What do you think?

Hi,

Since your circuit is planar, you will get good results using Momentum. I got OK results for on-chip inductors some years ago.

Quality factor(Q) = 2*π*F*L/R F frequency ,L Inductance , R resistance of the coil

If you increase the copper thickness the resistance of the coil increase hence better Q value

COMSOL Have capability to predict Q factors of coil at high frequency

https://www.comsol.co.in/model/rf-coil-6126

To estimate inductor Q factor you can use either Momentum (Method-of-moment) or FEM (Finite-element-method) based solver. In momentum, there is already template to calculate Q factor from S-parameter data.

Status
Not open for further replies.