Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error rate curve for M-ary othogonal signaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangpangfish

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I always have one unanswered question on the error rate curves for M-ary othogonal signaling. Notice that the there is a cross-over in the error rate curve in the region near -1.6 dB. In other words, in low SNR region, why a 16-ary orthogonal signaling performs worse than a binary orthogonal signaling?

Do you have any reference plot? I checked the book of proakis (Dig. Comm. - Figure 5-2-5) and there seems to be no cross-over between 16-ary and 2-ary ort. signals.

Your observation is right about Fig. 5.2-5 in Proakis. Since he didn't plot the error rates above 0.1, pretty useless region.

If you look at Fig. 3.20 (page 127) of a recent book by Madhow (can be downloaded from edaboard), you will see the cross over behavior I described.

yes I have seen the plot on Madhow's book, thanks for the reference. Well, I have no idea sorry, I hope someone tells us a sensible reason for that.

I couldn't understand what you mean by M-ary signal constellation systems performed worse comparing to that of 2-ary signal constellation systems in low SNR.....

From my understanding, M-ary signal constellation systems always performed worse in all the region when comparing to that of 2-ary. Cause M-ary signal constellation systems used more average transmitted power than 2-ary.

If you read my original post carefully, we were discussing M-ary *othogonal* signalings. You are probably thinking of 2-dimensional M-ary constellations.

M-ary orthogonal signalings can actually achieve the Shannon limit (without using any channel coding) when M approaches infinity, as long as SNR per bit is above a threshold ln2 (or -1.6dB). M-ary orthogonal signaling achieves high power efficiency at the cost of letting the bandwidth efficiency go to zero.

cwjcwjcwj said:
I couldn't understand what you mean by M-ary signal constellation systems performed worse comparing to that of 2-ary signal constellation systems in low SNR.....

From my understanding, M-ary signal constellation systems always performed worse in all the region when comparing to that of 2-ary. Cause M-ary signal constellation systems used more average transmitted power than 2-ary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back