Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error in resistor color codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock94

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently bought a batch of resistors.However when I was sorting them today I noticed this weird thing.Resistors marked brown,black,orange which are supposed to be 10kΩ were actually 1000kΩ.Just to be sure that my multimeter was reading the right value I checked other 10kΩ resistors bought earlier.They were fine.As anyone else had this problem?Anyway from now on I'm going to check all resistors with a meter before using and not just rely on the color codes.

I suppose you are speaking about 3 or 4 bands resistors. I never heard this problem: do you know the brand of these wrongly marked resistors ? Are you sure they aren't broken ?
However mistakes can happen.

They are 4 band resistors,the 4th band being the tolerance band.I don't know the brand as they were purchased locally.I don't think they are broken since all of them read the same value.Yeah mistakes can happen,but if it goes unnoticed then it can create serious problems in the circuit.I think its best to check the values using a meter if possible before using them.

Did you try scraping away the outer coating & see if the resistor has any spiral of resistance-material.Maybe the batch you got were damaged.
If no,then meter seems to be the only way.

brown, black, orange is 1 0 10^3 = 10,000 = 10k alright. Never seen this before but did get a batch of mis-color coded caps once that cost us a week of grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back