Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

English to HDL conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karandeep

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone;

I have been alloted a project English to HDL conversion which will basically convert the port mapping for IOMUX in EXCEL file to VHDL code. It will basically generate VHDL code for design of IOMUX for PAD interface . the port mapping will be defined in EXCEL file. The process will based on PERL programming.

since I am fresher i hv no idea on the same as in where to begin this, so every clue wud be appreciable.

Thanks

PERL

h**p://www.perltutorial.org/

h**p://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Hello Everyone;

I have been alloted a project English to HDL conversion which will basically convert the port mapping for IOMUX in EXCEL file to VHDL code. It will basically generate VHDL code for design of IOMUX for PAD interface . the port mapping will be defined in EXCEL file. The process will based on PERL programming.

since I am fresher i hv no idea on the same as in where to begin this, so every clue wud be appreciable.

Thanks

Cultured Perl: Reading and writing Excel files with Perl

h**p://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pexcel/

Thanks , its really helpfull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I want to know your views about this project that this will considerd as research project or something else.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Thanksss a lot ,,,,,,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

ISE's editor has a table-entry for creating entities. Other editors like vim/emacs have support for block editing, which makes it easy to define the ports quickly.

you are just using excel for the data-entry aspects, you could just save the file as a csv or psv. this can easily be read by any language as it is just comma seperated values (or pipe-separated).

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

ISE's editor has a table-entry for creating entities. Other editors like vim/emacs have support for block editing, which makes it easy to define the ports quickly.

you are just using excel for the data-entry aspects, you could just save the file as a csv or psv. this can easily be read by any language as it is just comma seperated values (or pipe-separated).

I m trying to build a tool sort of process which could get design the vhdl code for IOMUX by parsing its port mapping from .xls file.
The process would enable the designer to generate a SOC specific IOMUX at RTL level directly by giving specifications in EXCEL.........
waiting for replies

but you still need to run it through the design compiler (ISE or Quartus) which have this feature built in, and store the port mapping in the specified project.

but you still need to run it through the design compiler (ISE or Quartus) which have this feature built in, and store the port mapping in the specified project.

thanks I'll get through it...............

I find a lot but could not find any simulator which could generate code by importing EXCEL file................................
please help

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

I searched a lot but doesn't get any clue to generate a HDL code by importing EXCEL file in any simulator

Basically you cant.

You will have to write a TCL parser to do it.

yuppp!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is I want to do it with perl Parser.

Now clues please..................

If you have a CSV file and want to use Perl, you can easily extract all of the data from the table, then do whatever text manipulation required to produce a VHDL file (complete with header and footer bits). If you need to deal with the raw XLS(X) files, there are Perl modules that can manipulate those. Alternatively if you don't know or like Perl, you could use VBA inside Excel itself to create a new text document.

Consider what each row of the CSV table represents and how each row needs to be mapped to a VHDL file.

For example, your CSV might contain these data:

foo,bar,1,baz

And this might need to be changed to

foo(bar) := baz[1];

In this basic example, your text substitution code might look something like

"$1($2) := $4[$3];"

It's a pretty basic text manipulation task. Unless you need to implement some serious, additional, complicated logic, it should take less than an hour.

thanku sooo much ,..............
its really helpful...................
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back