Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emulation of a microcontrollers on an FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaro

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I've a question about possibility to emulate small microcontrollers on fpga. I place this question becouse sometimes I find C codes that are really complex and difficult to convert them to VHDL code. If there is possibility to emulate a microprocessor or a part of it inside an FPGA that would solve this problem. Another alternative it's some kind of converter of C code to VHDL code if exist.
I found only ARM microprocessors(not emulated) inside FPGA. The only emulation I've found it's an arduino AVR emulated on FPGA.

Someone know where I can find more informations?

Thank you!

Altera has the Nios soft processor core, that you can use via the Qsys tool inside Quartus.

I forgot to specify for an opensource code, I found different soft cores from FPGA producers, but most of them are not editable.

Even if you find a working core from OpenCores, you might not find a good tool-chain for that core. That is a big problem for writing test-cases and applications for that core.

If you are willing to spend some bucks, a good one is the Leon3 MIPS processor:
https://www.gaisler.com/index.php/products/processors/leon3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back