Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMI question: How to calculate an effected range by a transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlanKupar

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have an RF transmitter with an ERP of -10dBm, and a 0dB gain antenna.
Since I don't want to interfere to other receivers around me I want to calculate the maximum range I might effect.
A few assumptions:
1. The other receivers sensitivity is -174 dBm/Hz (a strict assumption, because I want to take the worst case).
2. ERP of transmitter (as mentioned above): -10dBm.
3. antenna gain= 0dB, no cable loss or polarization loss.

I used the sensitivity equation: S=ERP-22-20log(R)+20log(c/f), but for some reason I think I'm doing something wrong.
c=3*10^8
f=400*10^6 ,(400 MHz).

Am I using the right equation?
What is the maximum effected range?
Thank you,
IK

To calculate the range use the Friis equation, you can find a handy calculator here
https://www.random-science-tools.com/electronics/friis.htm
Your potential freee space interfering range will be quite considerable. You don't give a realistic receiver bandwidth, but assuming 10kHz your -10dBm could be easliy detected by an aircraft flyig overhead and with a small directional antenna by a spacecraft in low earth orbit. In a 1Hz bandwith it could be detected at almost 9500km. This is why EMC reguations are quite stringent on the allowable radiation from electronic apparatus.
I have in tha past been able to detect receiver local oscillators at over 5km and in one case a computer clock harmonic at about 20km. The latter was in an electricity meter installed bythe electricity company !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back