Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMC test requirements for residential security products

Status
Not open for further replies.

artem

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
en550022

Need to find EMC emission and immunity and functional requirements for residential security systems . While immunity test methods are specified in en 61000-4-x series immunity limits, emission and functional requirements are not clear for me.

May i use immunity limits specified for EMC for residential commercial and light industrial environments or there is product specific requirement standards ?

Thanks

en50130-4 pdf

I had done EMC/EMI Testing before. I believe you could look at the problem this way:

1) Is the product for commercial, industrial use, or military?

2) Is the product targeted for US Market, Europe, Japan, China, or Asia. This would guide to to know whether you should look at CISPR (Europe) or FCC(America) guidelines for launch the products.

3) Based on the guideline provide, this will then determine whether you are require to do conducted emission, conducted susceptibility, radiated emission or radiated susceptibility?

4) All your problems, then can be solved just by get an accredited testing house which will provide a test plan and report for your product

Added after 2 minutes:

To be more specific about your question, it would be a "yes", the standards are generally very product sensitive hence for difference groups there would be different test requirements.

dc-1224 requirement specified

Hi wchu01

I need to define product requirement specifications at start of design and identify disturbance and emission level at each port of system and as a whole. I am trying to find product specific standard for what we are designing . It seems that this product class is not defined explicitly in :
**broken link removed**

I dont have all standards to ensure that the choice of the limit defining documents is right .

From inet for some products it could be visible that (e.g.) :
"CE (Europe): EN50081-1, EN50082-1, EN50130-4, EN55022 Electromagnetic Compatibility, Emissions and Immunity
http://www.iautomate.com/promo15.html"

what are other manufacturers are referring to.

Added after 2 minutes:

So EN50130-4 looks like the product specific one .

iec 61000-4

emission limit for commercial product.

ce approval emc electronic

rogerynt, thanks for the document , but it is not what i need . Above mentioned standards define both emission and immunity requirements .

fcc cispr emi compliance lab forum

Hi Artem,

According to my understanding, your product need to pass EN55022. I have done this test in the past and some data is attached for your reference. Please take a look to see whether it helps or not.

emc1.jpg : Conducted Emssion data
emc2.jpg : Graphic result of above measurement result
emc3.jpg : Radiated Emission data

en50130-4-en55022-1

Hi rogerynt

In last post i meant that en550022 is not the only one i need. IEC says that for multifunction products , every standard for particular function must be tested for compliance. So , en550022 will not be the only one emission standard the product needs to be certified for .
I am trying to find EN50130-4 in addition to mentioned above standards .

ce testing emc failed forum

Would it be possible to tell us your product as I would believe that the testing requirements are linking to the type of product that you are trying to put onto the market?

Added after 8 minutes:

Artem, this might be a little out of point but ...

You mentioned that you are trying to define product requirement at the start of a design. For my project, from the onset the product class is identified after which the project team would abide by certain rules to reduce the EMI signature however this does not really give much assurance to whether the system could clear EMI at the end of the day. That is why it need to be tested and should it failed then from the measurements you probably could see where is your problematic region to improve upon.

For example, was working on a Wi-fi project, certainly emission was expected at 2.4 Ghz, however since this is a Wi-fi product, it is okay to seek a wavier. Hence, it really depends on the product that we are looking at.

en50130-4, product requirements

OK, that is little bit overview :
security monitoring device (sensor entry etc.), mobile connectivity (certified for CE modules), environment data collection and provisioning to IT equipment. Places to use - residential vehicle industrial . It is a base universal platform and does exist in prototype form. So i am trying to reduce iterations before production to reduce certification costs .

The most important here is immunity and safety requirements .

Artem,

okay my product does not certified for CE, however from my limited understanding of which, I would think:

1. Since it is industrial use, there is no real need for immunity testing for both conducted and radiated.

2. If it communicate wirelessly then consideration could be given to test for emission levels and you should be fine.

As for reduction of cost, for my method as mentioned earlier is to simply test for it. However, the test houses usually have a certification testing and the regular one which comes at a cheaper rate. The regular one is just a pre-scan which is similar to the certification but they do not endorse. The pre-scan will allow you to know the emission coming from your system.

Are you sure that no immunity tests are needed?
But what does the IEC 61000-6-2 define ?
(Generic standards Immunity for industrial environment)

Emission will be tested as well because wireless part is not only the one generating noise , but controller and dc -dc part and any switching parts as well .

Okay,

For emission, I would understand.but for immunity could it be wavier based upon justification?

Hi artem,

I think it's unlikely to waive immumity test for CE approval. Even though the lab agrees to issue a report. But, it still remarks this test item ( if it fails ). Therefore, when your customer reads the report then business finish.

For test issue, is it possible to ask the lab. for your concern and run a test there ? This test is very difficult to perform in house. In radiative mode. Your need an antenna and signal generator to set :

a.) 1KHz 80% AM modulation
b.) 1Vp-p swing per metre @ 3 metre
c.) Scan up to 1GHz at 1% frequency increment step.

The product needs good decoupling ( appropriate value and location ) as well as good pcb layout.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back