Not open for further replies.

barry

Advanced Member level 7
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I need to add ethernet connectivity to a new board I'm designing. In the past I've used Lantronix XPORTs, which is a serial-to-ethernet converter, and they work fine. But I need much faster speed for this board (>3Mbit/sec) and the XPORT won't handle that.

The board will have an FPGA which will need to talk to the outside world. Ideally, I'd like some drop-in solution which has a simple parallel interface on my side, and ethernet on the other side. Basically all I need to do is receive simple messages from the host, and send blocks of data to the host, nothing fancier than that.

I've looked at the Microchip solutions, and although I'm a fan of the PICs, it looks like a lot of development to get Ethernet working. I've just stumbled across Wiznet devices (http://www.wiznet.co.kr/), W5100/W5300, and wonder if anyone has any experience with those? They appear to be the perfect solution, which makes me nervous. NOTHING is ever the perfect solution.

So, all you ethernet experts, what do you think? This is not a large volume product, so it doesn't make sense to invest a lot of manpower in developing an inexpensive solution; we're perfectly happy spending US$50 for a drop-in solution.

Thanks,
Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…