Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EM simulators on Pentum IV HT or multiprocessor systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit-the-great

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends !
I see many discussions about the using EM-sims on dual-processor computers. I suggest the post in this topic all successful examples and experience of this problem. In this connexion I have another question: is anybody have the experience with new Intel Pentium IV processors with Hyper Threading technology. As a user I'm not found the any differences between the dual-processor and Pent. IV HT systems but maybe somebody knows the difference ? And how to use the both threads for EM-simulation in corresponding simulator ?

Best regards,
Kit-the-great

There is a LINUX like system called MOSIX .. see : www.mosix.org
This systems is compatible with LINUX PC iT runs in parallel in a network of PC boxes .. It will be nice to RUN EM simulators in a CLUSTER.

I use P4_Xeon-HT with CST and HFSS. And I don't see difference betweeen HT - switch-on or switch-off. I think this mode helpfull only for server-station.

Don't know much on EM on paralell processors, have heard some stuff, but have also some experience that speed of the processor is not the only speed you should be concerned about. You can use PIV on 2.6GHz insted of PVI on 1.7 GHz and have much slower simulations! It is the speed of the bus and the speed of the memory (RDW is prefered) that can kill any processor speed increase. The speed of processor is progressing much faster that the speed of two other things mentioned, so I don't expect any great improvement soon.

In general, computers for mass productions are optimized for speed that average user will demand - speed in graphics, animation, CD and DVD reading and other popular demands. Specialized solutions work better but sometimes it is marginal for the price you pay. I still remember a large vasted sum of money I paid for Pentium-Pro Processor - 6 months later a regular and 3 times cheaper one was more effective! Not to mentioned the price of dedicated motherboard!

Conclusion: Don't dream on paralell computer that will work 20 times faster (that is what you really need), it will work 20% faster insted (and you will pay a great money for each percent there!)

FlyHigh

I think that HT lets run many processes in parallel way (not concurrente), so if you app have only one process, you cannot see any diference in performance.

NeuralC

I have used the HFSS software with multiple processors on Windows 2000 and Windows NT. The HFSS solver is compiled for multiple processors. The feature needs to be enabled in both the License and the configuration. I have noticed that on my dual processor machines, when HFSS is using is multiprocessor code, my PC is very slow for doing other things and I can see both processors running at 100% in the system monitor.

hi!
as i have seen in cst mws only transient solver is compiled for multiple processors.
frequensy domain solver and eigenmode solver are uniprocessor compiled both.

System with two P4-2,4XEON works so 50% faster than with one, for CST.

If th program support HT Technology, you'll see the difference. For instance when Ansoft Designer works in EM simulation, duty indicator of the processor becomes %100. But ADS can not use over %50..
It means that some programs coul use both processor.
I use P IV 2.8C and it's faster than previous PIV...

BigBoss said:
If th program support HT Technology, you'll see the difference. For instance when Ansoft Designer works in EM simulation, duty indicator of the processor becomes %100. But @DS can not use over %50..
It means that some programs coul use both processor.
I use P IV 2.8C and it's faster than previous PIV...

HT Technology and the multiprocessors support are different things. There are no programmes from Ansoft, which support HTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back