Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Elementary question about current and temperature in doped Si.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpina

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I'm solving an excercise from Razavi's book (Fundamentals of microelectronics).

The problem is:
"A n-type piece of silicon with a lenght of 0.1 um and a cross area section of 0.05 um x 0.05 um sustains a voltage difference of 1V.
Doping level is 10^17 cm^-3.
(a) Calculate the total current flowing through the device at T = 300K."

I calculated from equation:

Jtot = un * E * n * q + up * E * p * q
from ni^2 = n*p I found p = 1,17 * 10^3 cm^-3, so part up* E * p * q is neglible

Jtot ≈ un * E * n * q = 5,4 uA

Then, there is:
"(b) Repeat (a) for T = 400K assuming for simplicity that mobility does not change with temperature. (This is not a goog assumption)"

But whats the difference? for T = 400K, p = 1,38 * 10^8 so its still neglible when n = 10^17

Probably im doing something wrong - but what? Please, give me some clues

If mobility is assumed to be independent of temperature - the current should be independent of temperature as well.

Your expression for the total current should include a factor of cross-sectional area (it seems you multiplied by the current density by the area - but your formula does not show that).

Also, 1V across 0.1 um give a large electric field - 100 kV/cm - so the mobility should be much lower due to this high longitudinal electric field, as compared to a low-field case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back