Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnets for robotic locomotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvd

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I think that electromagnets can be used to cause locomotion in a robot. In this case an electromagnet will push or pull the lever (leg of the robot) and there will be no need of a motor. Any comments?

Robotic locomotion

Hi,

Yes i do have a comment. In electromagnet, it all depands what you are pussing. Let say you want to push an aram, then it will be diffrent if you have holding something or not.
Even worse, you will have to spend energey all this time, while in a motor you can break and stop using and battery energy.
Good luck.

Re: Robotic locomotion

mmmm electromagnets... sounds like it is going to complicate most of the things there, the control system could be very complex while using motors it can be a lot easier to control the position of the arm or part you are moving.

Wouldn't it be better to use electromagnets to lift the robot from the floor, reducing the forces against movement from the floor, that way you can push the robot using other ways and economise in force by not having strong forces restricting the movement.

Robotic locomotion

Motor is the evolved device using your concept. Passive mechanism is the right direction to parse the features of the robot: it is easy to implement some feature in mechanical system while it is easy to implement other feature in electrical system.

a robot locomotion generally has six wheel.just like sojourn. also every wheel has a driving unit.

I think pasive dynamic approach is very natural and energy eficient. However the robot control algorithm is very complex, since it must deal with gait disturbances. If gait disturbances are not compesated, the robot could fall.

Robotic locomotion

i agree with with what wt70707 said

a motor also uses the same concept of magnetism

when current is passed through a motor it magnetises the coils and due to the magnetic attraction/repulsion between rotor and stator, the rotor moves

so in essence a motor is just an evolved version of what nvd desires

Robotic locomotion

We can change the cinstruction of a motor with magnetism theory.

Hi,
I Thing that using the motors is the best because :
1. the motors give u an ability on control in the locomotion and change the side of the moving, specialty if u using a stepper motors.
2. By motors u can give double and more of the strong's motor by using a gear system if u need that in lever .

wini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back