Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical characteristic of F type connectors used by Comtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

griga

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to all !

I see that Comtech use F type connectors in they modems (for example CDM-600), but i can't find electrical characteristic of F-type connectors above 1GHz.

Amphenol say that: VSWR ( DC-1,0 GHz) = 1,25 : 1
(1,0 -1,5 GHz) = 2 : 1
What vswr this connector have at frequency range from 1Ghz to 3 Ghz ?

Best regards.

Re: F type connectors

What vswr this connector have at frequency range from 1Ghz to 3 Ghz ?
Who do you expect to anwer your question? If F series isn't specified for above 2 GHz, you have to measure it yourself. Or ask Comtech.

Thanks for answer!

I hope somebody use this type of connectors in devices. And can answer to my question about can we use it in frequency range 950 - 2150 MHz.

To get right answer i must measure a lot of connectors, it's no good.

F type connectors

I think, it's obvious, that a connector, that works fairly up to 2 GHz, can be used at 2.15 GHz as well. There's no policemen with a frequency meter saying stop. You can possibly expect better results with small coaxial cables and F type than with a well specified N-connector, that involves large conductor diameter steps and respective reflections.

Thanks again !
I don't find specification in which say that they can use up to 2 GHz.
For example Tyco says it's specified up to 1 GHz only.

F type connectors

www.telegaertner.com specifies e.g. frequency range of 2 GHz and return loss >= 20 dB @1.8 GHz (= SWR < 1.2) for there
FME connectors. Generally, they are used for GSM/UMTS bands up to 2.17 GHz.

F connectors work (more or less) well up to 1GHz. Above 1 GHz, only if the manufacturer specifies some value, than the connector perform so. Without written specification you should measure it, and probably the same manufacturer produces similar data for another lot of connectors too.
To sum it up: if you need specification, buy connectors that specified at your frequency.

F type connectors

Although I basically don't want to rely on unspecified part properties, if a connector from manufacturer B is mechanical
identical to the one from manufacturer A, it's unlikely, that it's RF behaviour is completely different. Anyone, who has already
designed coaxial or stripline RF structures, understands why.

If you analyze the design of F connectors in terms of transmission line continuity, you see, that it can't perform that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back