Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric field of moving charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy_prime

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

We know that stationary charges produce electric field and charges moving with constant velocity produces static magnetic field. But what is the electric field produced by charges moving with constant velocity???

I believe that as the position of the charges keep on changing, the electric field distribution changes. Since this distribution changes with time, this means that the Electric field is time-varying. A time-varying electric field must generate a magnetic field(generally, may or may not be time-varying) and this magnetic in this case is a non-varying, thus supporting the creation of static magnetic field by moving charges.

Is this stream of thought correct? Please reply...

Although I cannot grasp your entire thought, it makes me recall the static charge that develops in thunderclouds (usually positive polarity)...
and how free electrons form a corresponding 'pool' in the ground directly beneath,
and how the electrons travel at matching speed in order to stay beneath the cloud-borne positive charges.

I have not heard of experiments done to measure magnetic flux associated with lightningstorms.

The link below is a list of articles by Bill Beatty, whose concepts about electricity come from the attempt to delve deeper into its true (and inscrutable) nature.

ARTICLES ABOUT "ELECTRICITY" - William J. Beaty

http://amasci.com/ele-edu.html

Are you considering an infinite long strip with certain Coulomb/m charge that moves, or a situation where the charge density changes?

For the first case, the E-field doesn't change from the static situation, as you always "see" the same amount of charge. In the last case both E and H changes. From my head, the H-field is because of the length contraction (Lorentz).

Electric field of a moving charge travels along with that charge. Such moving charge will generate a magnetic field at a specific location as due to the Faraday induction law, at such location charge movement will cause a derivative of the electric field related to the dx, or, position change due to charge movement.
Only charges moving in a harmonic way (here and there) will generate an electromagnetic fields and waves.
Moving charges were utilized in linear accelerators and cathode-ray tubes where they traveled along a line and could interact with external electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields caused charge movements across a screen, magnetic fields an do the same, and if oriented along the charge moving line, they pulled the charges closer to the line (e.g. in klystrons, TWTs and BWOs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back