Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

elecrical projectile aka ray gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning r fun

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If i were to get a way to shoot a gas such as argon in a toroid shape(reason for toroid is they retain their shape over long distances), is there a way i could introduce electricity(eg from tesla coil or some other method) into the toroid, and keep the electricity from dissipating until the toroid hits something and dissipates:?:

I can't help with the charging question, but you can shoot a toroid of gas out easily using a vortex cannon. All you need are some bungee cords, a trash can, and trash bags to get going.

Interesting problem of course.

Presumably your gas or plasma can only be accelerated magnetically
which would play havoc with any charge you could put on it.

You would also need to combat the effects of acceleration and simply - wind/rain etc.
This I suspect would require mass in excess of any gas/plasma - or - extreme
acceleration.

My "guess" would be any gas/plasma accelerated fast enough to actually get anywhere wouldn't need a charge to do real damage. Unless the charge transfer didnt need to do damage - but that wouldnt work as a "ray gun"

I guess it depends on what you are really trying to achieve.

Building it like CERN
or doing it like Captain Kirk.

CERN will work - Kirk I suspect is a long way off.

jack

argon won't hurt someone if i shoot it at them
my point is to make a gun that basically shoots lightning at something.
i use a tesla coil to charge my toroid with electrical arcs as the toroid exits the gun/nozzle/whatever makes the toroid.
this can easily be done, however, the arcs won't stay in the toroid by themselves. this being my problem.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

I can't help with the charging question, but you can shoot a toroid of gas out easily using a vortex cannon. All you need are some bungee cords, a trash can, and trash bags to get going.

i would like to make some kind of nozzle, so that when the burst of gas exits the nozzle, it is formed into a toroid.

Smoke rings are very easy to make. The suggested trash can will do the job easily enough.

That - as I explained - would be the least of your problems.

jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back