Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eigenvalue computation in FEMLAB - problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eirp

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tm waves in femlab

Hi guys!

I'm computing the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions (solving Helmholz equation in elmag. module - "In plane TE/TM waves") of planar shapes in FEMLAB.
I need to compute as many eigenvalues as I can but there's problem.
It's no problem to compute 50-55 eigenvalues in a short time but when I increase this number a little (to 70-80) the computing time is gigantic...
It's due to some physical limitation of finite element method (or eigenvalue problem) or I need to improve something in FEMLAB settings???
I'd like to compute some statistic of eigenvalue differences for various shapes and study so called "trace formula" which connects eigenpairs with orbits of bouncing ball in billiard...

Thanks in advance,
Eirp

Hi eirp,

I once had the same problem. And yes, I think it has something to do with the FEM.

That's bad because FEMLAB's great GUI and postprocessing.. I can turn to solving the PDE using finite difference method but I don't have time to make such program.
Thank for your suggestion,
Eirp

Status
Not open for further replies.