Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effects of increased sampling rate for FIR Filter in Matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

dav_mt

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just designed an FIR filter in Matlab, and saw the impulse response. I obtained a low pass filter. Up to now there were no problems. I read the cut-off frequency(0.144cycles/sample) and had 2 null frequencies at 0.325cycles/sample and 0.5cycles/sample.

Then I inputted a discrete sine wave block(with sampling frequency = 12kHz) instead of the impulse and after trying several frequencies, gain and phase were observed from matlab scope and the frequency and phase spectrum were plotted. Please note that in order to read the gain and phase blocks i used a filter to reconstruct my signal and have readable gain and phase values (input vs output)

I did thesame procedure for a sampling frequency of 20khz, yet in the fs = 12khz case i found the response to be very similar to that of the impulse response with obviously a different cut off frequency (12k * 0.144cycles/sample) and heavy attenuation at the null frequencies just like the impulse input case. However I did not observe any attenuation at fs = 20khz at the null frequncies. Am i doing a Matlab mistake or is there a theoretical explanation for this difference ?

Obviously in both cases two low pass filters were observed whose cut-off depended on fs, using f0/fs = k/N = f(cycles/sample)

FIR Filter in Matlab

oh i forgot to mention system is implemented in simulink and parameters obtained are plotted using matlab, and putting my question in an easier way,

What is the difference between inputting a sine wave sampled at 12k and 20k, in the input of an FIR low pass filter (apart from higher cut-off and null frequencies)?

Re: FIR Filter in Matlab

I think by increasing the sample rate we have better resolution of the signal on the Scope in the Simulink.

Regards

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back