Not open for further replies.

Palpurul

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello edaboard community,

I am desingning a simple matching network and I have a few questions about the implementation of it on a PCB. The matching network consists of a few passive components, transmisison lines and vias. I am confused whether to use solder resist or not. Do they actually effect the characteristic impedance of the transmission lines? I have read a lot about microstrip transmisison line none of them talks about the effect of the solder resist. By the way the matching network is designed to work at 2.4GHz. Does anyone know solder resist has any significant effect on the frequency characteristics on circuit?

Effect of solder resist is relative small, particularly for micro-strip and similar topologies with ground plane. Some impedance calculation tools have an option to set solder resist parameters, but the effect will be typically smaller than the expectable impedance variation range of the basic PCB.

You helped me a lot today let me know if you come across any article about this issue. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…