Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eavesdropping a Optical Fiber transmission line

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat_race

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Eavesdropping fiber ..?

Has anyone heard of eavesdropping a Optical Fiber transmission line..?
I've heard that some military associations are capable of it..?
Is it ever Possible..? if so will someone give me further information..?

Re: Eavesdropping fiber ..?

hi rat_race
as far as i know that fiber is immune to electronic eavesdropping. but regarding that the military have done it, i think that every thing is possible nowadays :).
regards

Eavesdropping fiber ..?

What is eavesdropping a Optical Fiber transmission line ?

If a fiber is bent some of the photons go outside. I suspect that if this is done near the source end of the line, enough photons go to the outside that they can be decoded.

Eavesdropping fiber ..?

Electronic tapping of a fiber line of course is impossible, it's not an electronic medium... Tapping fiber isn't all that difficult, all you need is access to the line at some point, since most fiber lines are long haul it would be trivial for a covert group to cut a line and splice in a tap.

Eavesdropping fiber ..?

Another method called Digital Cross Connect .. However this is done softwarewise tapping of fibers

Sceadwian said:
Electronic tapping of a fiber line of course is impossible, it's not an electronic medium... Tapping fiber isn't all that difficult, all you need is access to the line at some point, since most fiber lines are long haul it would be trivial for a covert group to cut a line and splice in a tap.

I don't think this is impossible, though it would be extremely difficult to do without anyone knowing. The best way to install a tap on fiber would probably be when the fiber is being replaced or installed for the first time. A method of attack would be to strip the coating, and drill a hole in the cladding right up against the fiber. Then putting in a photo diode that is covered with some specialized silvery agent (like a two-way mirror) that reflects most of the light but allows some to get through to be detected. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but well I'm sure the military can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back