Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy reprogramming of a PIC18F in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFDuval

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
elm327 pic

Hello,

I'm currently developping a product that will be used by people that are not really good with technology. My compagny want those customers to be able to reprogram the device if we do a software update.

I'm thinking of using a serial (RS-232) bootloader to flash it, but it seems that this solution is too complicated for many people.

The ideal solution for the compagny would be to send a small SD card with the new firmware and to simply replace the old one. I don't think it's realistic for a product that should be ready for market in a few months...

So, I'm willing ton hear your recommendations,

elm327 pic18f

Maybe the new feature of the PICKIT2 programmer is the solution. It can store any new firmware in eeprom inside the programmer and with the aid of 5V power supply (or any USB port available and able to supply 5V) and connecting via ICSP to the application circuit PIC reprogram it without a PC. PICKIT2 is light, easy to use, cheap and programs the 18F series. Check the Microchip site, PICKIT2 user´s guide.

JFDuval

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
elm327 firmware

Thanks rkodaira,

I'll look at it.

I'm still open to any other suggestions.

pic 18f rs232

If SD access is too long for your development schedule you could go on EEPROM way :
a spare eeprom socket + auto load of firmware if eeprom is present....

If your 18F may be a USB enabled one you can have an USB bootloader inside.
People will download new firmware+upgrading app
Anyone using web browser usb cable could upgrade, even people with laptops without serial port.
(+lower board cost : Usb female connector has lowest cost than SD one)
Regards

JFDuval

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
elm327 pic18

sc/mp said:
If SD access is too long for your development schedule you could go on EEPROM way :
a spare eeprom socket + auto load of firmware if eeprom is present....

If your 18F may be a USB enabled one you can have an USB bootloader inside.
People will download new firmware+upgrading app
Anyone using web browser usb cable could upgrade, even people with laptops without serial port.
(+lower board cost : Usb female connector has lowest cost than SD one)
Regards

My PIC isn't USB but I was thinking of using a USB to Serial adaptor onboard. Definately, a bootloader seems the way to go.

pic18f eeprom

You may have a look at PIC copier from www.echip.co.in. Just put a Open (unlocked) PIC and the read hex will be stored in the memory and can program any number of similar PIC's in Field without a PC. Good luck

elm327 chip

funnynypd said:
Unlock a PIC is not legal here in North America.
Take a look how many ELM327 PIC chip has been copied. That really hurt the original designer.

Yes...Funny. It really hurts the original designer. In my post, i meant to say, one has to program a PIC with keeping the locks open and then insert the PIC in the said copier where the hex will be stored, and then the copier can program any number of similar devices in stand alone mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back