Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duplicate plane cuts for two ground planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsun

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I would like to ask a question on GND plane.

65_1301083413_thumb.png

40_1301083413.png

45_1301083413.png

In order to provide double side reference plane for stripline signals I am using more than one ground planes (see doublegnd.png). The question is: If I am using more than one (two here) GND planes, do I have to make them exactly the same? Most of the areas on the two GND planes will be connected to GND signal, but there are also planes cuts that are connected to either GND_DAC, GND_DENC or other grounds.

Therefore, if I am having ground plane 1 and ground plane 2, do I have to make the cuts on them the same? In more detail, if GND_DAC is cut on ground plane 1, do I have to cut it again in ground 2?

Are there any pros and cons for duplicate planes cuts or not?

Thanks,
Bob

I would look around the internet for as many articles on ground planes as possible, the general concensus these days is not to split ground planes. There have been numerous discussions regarding this over the years, but generally the view dont split the ground plane. It can cause more problems than it solves. The other problem is if you split the ground you cannot run a route over a split without consequences. For the majority of designs (all :)) one contigous ground plane, you'll have less problems.

**broken link removed**
http://www.ieee.org.uk/docs/emc1206a.pdf
http://www.ultracad.com/articles/slots.pdf

This usually gets a few arthritic electronics engineers, sucking their gums and going, when I was a lad we had analogue ground, digital ground and so on, well times move on and with todays rise times, faster clock speeds, smaller components and denser designs one (1) ground is best.

Reactions: bobsun

bobsun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear marce,

Many thanks for these helpful links. I think I really need to read some theory first.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back