Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duel Count Up Timer Circuit - need advise / help please to complete it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gossages

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Decade Counter with 2 x 7 Digit displays, need help / advise on a couple of mods ;-)

Hi every one and thanks for looking at my post ;-)

ive got a Decade counter circuit which is ok ive added a start / stop and a reset button to the diagaram - but what i want to be able to do is the following

1) Add a 2nd set of 7 digit display's which i have done under livewire and they power up but i want them to show the high count ie

if the main ones lets say they are the top digits gets to 22 then the bottom ones will show 22 now when its reset the top ones will reset (already have this on the circuit now) and the bottom ones stay on 22 then

next time its started if the top ones dont get to 22 then the bottom ones will stay showing 22 and if it gets to over 22 then the bottom ones will then register the high count and stay on that until its reached again.

if that all makes sence? - as i want to be able to make 1 pcb which i can populate either with or without the 2nd set of 7 digit displays as i have some uses where i only want a counter not a "high count memory"

hope ive explained ok for everyone to understand lol

any help would be much apreaceated!

thanks in advance

Neil
counter circuit v1.JPG

Last edited:

Not sure I followed your explanation. It sounds as though you want a latch somewhere between the counter section and the display section.

Do you need another two-digit display? Or do you want to press a button to show the highest count, then when you let up the button it returns to current values?

Do you want values to be retained when power is off?

Hi "BradtheRad"

Thanks for the reply ;-)

Not sure I followed your explanation. It sounds as though you want a latch somewhere between the counter section and the display section.

Do you need another two-digit display? Or do you want to press a button to show the highest count, then when you let up the button it returns to current values?

(ive attatched a new circuit where i've added a start stop button and a reset button also - so when you press start and starts to count up and then will stop but it will still show the current time on it, and pressing reset reset's the timer.)
But what i really want is to have 1 button where it will work like this START - STOP - RESET - START or like this START - STOP - RESET / START

Yes i want another two-digit display added to show the highest count. (added the 2nd 2 digit display to the the circuit but not got it working at the moment having issues figuring out how to make it keep the highest time counted) On the Circuit they are DS3 & DS4 - this is the display i want to keep the high count, i managed to get the DS3 & DS4 to count along with the main DS1 & DS2 displays, but can not get it to keep the high time - it just add's to the current DS3 &DS4 displayed time - i need it not to add to the DS3 & DS4 Digit displays unless the time is greater than the one shown in DS1 & DS2

Also not sure how easy it would be to get the display's DS1, DS2, DS3 & DS4 to all flash if a high time is reached when stoped? but not important but would look nice though.

Do you want values to be retained when power is off?

No don't need any values to be retained when power is off.

Also i dont have anyway of programming a PIC Micro (but could purchase a programmer if needed) but again dont even know where to start with writing code or designing a PIC Curcuit etc, so looking for off the shelf components so to speak
double digit timer.JPG

Thanks ;-)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back