Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual power supply buffer vs single supply buffer + pull ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisk

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am working on an ARM JTAG design. I plan to use FT2232H as the chip.

On the JTAG side, I am considering to use SN74LVC07A for the buffer.

FT2232H uses 3.3v as Vcc, so I am going to give 3.3v to SN74LVC07A. As for JTAG header side, I am using pull up resistors to connect to the Vref so I can connect the jtag to different system. (1.6v-5.5v)

However I was suggested to use dual power supply buffer, e.g, SN74AVC2T45.

I am wondering besides the cost, what are other differences?

Is there any advantage to use dual power supply buffer SN74AVC2T45 over single supply SN74LVC07A plus pull ups?

What about speed?

Thanks

Re: Dual power supply buffer vs single supply buffer + pull

brisk said:
What about speed?
I would go with a dual supply buffer, because I think is can work at higher rates.

Let's take a look at the pull-up variant. During high-to-low transition the drain-source resistance resistance of the FET (R_DS_ON) becomes small - on the order of few Ohms. R_DS_ON and the capacitance of the line have an RC constant, which limits the speed. Similar situation would occur in the double supply buffer. But this is not the biggest limitation. During low-to-high transition the pull-up resistance (probably on the order of 1kΩ ) and the line capacitance have another bigger RC constant. The value of the pull-up can't be arbitrarily low, because the buffer should be able to pull the line below the logic-low threshold.

Re: Dual power supply buffer vs single supply buffer + pull

Thank you. FT2232H's clock is 30MHz, will this have significant impact on the speed? Let's say I use 20K resistor for the pull ups.

thanks

kender said:
brisk said:
What about speed?
I would go with a dual supply buffer, because I think is can work at higher rates.

Let's take a look at the pull-up variant. During high-to-low transition the drain-source resistance resistance of the FET (R_DS_ON) becomes small - on the order of few Ohms. R_DS_ON and the capacitance of the line have an RC constant, which limits the speed. Similar situation would occur in the double supply buffer. But this is not the biggest limitation. During low-to-high transition the pull-up resistance (probably on the order of 1kΩ ) and the line capacitance have another bigger RC constant. The value of the pull-up can't be arbitrarily low, because the buffer should be able to pull the line below the logic-low threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.