Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual polarity square wave generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
A combination of potentiometers can do this. One potentiometer conveys a portion of a 5V supply V.

The capacitor blocks DC from flowing back toward your input signal. However the capacitor can distort a square waveform.

BradtheRod this not seem to work in all frequencies...... Isnt it??
untitled.JPG

Try this

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 89

A combination of potentiometers can do this. One potentiometer conveys a portion of a 5V supply V.

The capacitor blocks DC from flowing back toward your input signal. However the capacitor can distort a square waveform.

Screenshot:

Thanks for your help. I tried the above circuit and the voltage level shifted. However, the voltage range was much higher than 5 V even when the input was between -3 and 3 V. How could i shift down the output voltage? I am using 500 ohm potentiometer instead of 200 ohm. Also, what value should i keep the potentiometer to? Does the output voltage depends on potentiometer resistance? Please help.

Last edited:

BradtheRod this not seem to work in all frequencies...... Isnt it??

Adding a battery is a method that could work at low frequencies. However at high frequencies it is likely to distort the waveform.

Screenshot of the simulation (theoretical):

9835795600_1372421014.png

Notice the output goes below 0V.

Also notice the battery receives a charging current of a few mA when the input is -4V. Some types of batteries cannot tolerate this.

------------------------------------------------

I modified the above by putting the diode in series.
This schematic could do the job:

5887094200_1372421249.png

The output will not reach 5V if:

a) the diode has too high a forward volt spec,
or
b) the following stage draws too much current.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the resistors create a virtual ground.

If the load draws too much current, the output level will drop. This will require raising the supply V at the 555 IC.

There will be a question about whether the output is referenced correctly to the next stage's ground rail.

Also notice the battery receives a charging current of a few mA when the input is -4V. Some types of batteries cannot tolerate this.
Ya the modified circuit could do the job perfectly if the 100k replaced by a 10k............ I just draw a modal which is easy to understand...

f the load draws too much current, the output level will drop. This will require raising the supply V at the 555 IC
I already said that. this circuit cant be used for higher loads.. and for the ground concern it can be used for different ground configurations....

- - - Updated - - -

But a capacitor in that ciruit could damage the sync ness in fast mode...........

Elex-factor:
Thanks for your help. I tried the above circuit and the voltage level shifted. However, the voltage range was much higher than 5 V even when the input was between -3 and 3 V. How could i shift down the output voltage? I am using 500 ohm potentiometer instead of 200 ohm. Also, what value should i keep the potentiometer to? Does the output voltage depends on potentiometer resistance? Please help.

The pot between supply and ground needs to be a sufficiently low value, so that each of its arms can be a path for current through the capacitor. In other words, the capacitor needs to have a load attached to its output, in order to attenuate the incoming signal.

A 1k value is suitable. Just a mA or two goes through it.

As for the 200 ohm pot, yes it is fine if you replace it with a 500 or 1k, etc., whatever value gives you the voltage swing you need.

Success depends on fine-tuning the potentiometers, until the waveform looks right.

The same with adjusting the capacitor value. You can reduce it if your signal is at a higher frequency than 100 Hz. It acquires a DC charge, so it must be oriented correctly.

Hi

I also wanted to know, if I want to reduce the voltage range from 0-10 V to 0-5 V, what kind of circuit should I use? Should I just use a resistor to drop down the voltage level or is there any better way to do that? Please help..

Depends on what you want to do with your output.You could use a simple resistive divider to bring 0-10 V to 0-5 V.

But what is it that you want to do with that 0-5 V output ?????

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Depends on what you want to do with your output.You could use a simple resistive divider to bring 0-10 V to 0-5 V.

But what is it that you want to do with that 0-5 V output ?????

I want to input this signal to an ADC of a microcontroller. Is it ok if I just use a resistive divider for this purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.