Dual channel vs more Frequency Function generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX_SPECTRUM128

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a computer engineering student, totally new to electronics; so far, i have been more inclined toward software aspect of CE but now i am planning to change that. so i decided to buy some devices in order to practice electronics. currently i am about to buy function generator. where i live i can buy either dual-channel 10 MHz (Siglent SDG1010) OR single-channel 30 MHz (Siglent SDG830) and both have the same price. put in mind that i will NEVER work in audio neither radio applications. my goal of electronics is Micro-controller, digital design and FPGA applications. so what do you think is more appropriate for my situation more channel or more frequency? and No i cannot have both features it will be very expensive.

Note:
when i mentioned micro-controller, digital design and FPGA application i was talking about my eventual long term future field of application but right now i am about to start learning AC circuit analysis using a regular AC/DC circuit theory college text book ; this one https://www.powells.com/book/introductory-circuit-analysis-10th-edition-9780130974174

Last edited:

For digital you don't need a function generator, more like
a logic analyzer or digital pattern generator.

You might consider that many FPGA eval boards have way
more I/Os, memory depth and programmability than any
but the most expensive "big box" test equipment. The
logic levels might need buffering / shifting for some uses
but that's easy soldering practice. Many eval boards
have a "mezzanine" connector system so you could make
a "logic interface shield" without molesting the EVK at
all, and also robust PC interface software / connectivity.
Some even have low-end ADC, DAC resources which
might make for a nice little "core" for your bench.

Actually the only available options for me are :
Siglent SDG 805
Siglent SDG 830
Siglent SDG 1010
it is either on of these or nothing i am having some special situation here where i live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…