Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Active Bridge operation and modulation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

with2ls

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking into a bidirectional converter design for charging a battery bank when a mains connection is available, and operating as an inverter when mains is not available.

The design is similar to the following picture:
1675290955501.png

The operation in Direction 1 (as a battery charger) is clear to me:
1. "Load" is replaced with the mains connection.
2. "LC Filter" and "Single Phase Inverter" operate as a Boost PFC, generating a DC voltage (let's say 380V).
3. DAB operates to transfer power from the ~380V to the battery using a number of modulation options (phase shift modulation for example).

Direction 2 (as an inverter) is where I am struggling. Most of the DAB papers I have read imply that the DAB is used to transfer power from one source to another, which render pretty plots like the following:
1675290992569.png

but in this case, I need to actually generate the high voltage side starting at 0V.
1. Is there a special modulating scheme for doing this?
2. In Direction 2, is the output voltage limited by the input voltage * the turns ratio of the transformer? Or can it operate as a boost using the leakage inductor?
3. Assuming it can operate as a boost to output ~380V, is it then acceptable to switch to a normal modulate scheme (phase shift or triangle)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I found some issues with my spice circuit that were causing me to ask these questions. I believe I have rectified the issues and have it running (see attached). This simulation also gradually increases the DC of the gate driver signals, which reduces the initial currents in the circuit.

I know this isn't perfect, but it's start at least. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Attachments

• DAB - Ideal Switches - LV to HV.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 79

Status
Not open for further replies.