Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dspic33ep256mu806 target ID not detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

resh07

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have designed a dsp board with dspic33ep256mu806.I am trying to program it with pickit3.I had power supply to power my pic.I am getting an error:
"Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID. Please check your connections to the Target Device."
I have checked every connections.It seems proper.For time being I am using internal FRC oscillator,so I havent connected my crystal.Can anyone suggest reason for this error?

Also I have removed my power supply and used my pickit to power the device.Same error pops up.While powering up using pickit3 I didnt connect my decoupling capacitors(including 10uf tantalum) to device.Will it be an issue?

Regards,
Reshma

It means that the PicKit3 cannot communicate with the device. Make sure that the PGC and PCD (or ICSPCLK and ICSPDAT) lines connect to any of the PGECn and PGEDn pin combinations. Also check that you don't have capacitors or other things connected to those lines that will distort the signals.
Same goes for the \MCLR\ line (or use the circuit suggested in the data sheet).
Programming does not require an oscillator (but obviously any running of the code does).
Whether you power the MCU or you use the PicKit3, make sure that you tell the PicKit3 accordingly in the IDE options. If you have the PicKit3 power the MCU, make sure that it is not trying to power the whole circuit -although that normally results in an error about drawing too much current.
Susan

Thank you for your feedback.I have checked my PGED and PGEC lines.It has no other components connected.Also my MCLR pin has 10k and 330ohm connected as per specifications.Still the problem remains the same.When I connect my pickit3 to MCLR,MCLR is always showing low.Will it be a reason and what will be the cause of that issue.

When I connect my pickit3 to MCLR,MCLR is always showing low.Will it be a reason and what will be the cause of that issue.
It shouldn't be permanently low, unless the programmer holds the CPU in reset. Either defective PICkit3 or processor, PCB short or wrong cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back