Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSP core in FPGA, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozonehole2k

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am reading some DSP textbook stuff, but, I only have a Spartan III -300k gate board with me... I went to opencores.org to see if I can download any functional DSP. All I can find was microcontrollers (8-bit up to early stage 64bit!!!), but no DSP core..

I wonder why that's the case. Is there any special technical barrier which makes DSP in FPGA solution infesible? For the board that I have used, do you think I have enough resources to create a general purpose DSP?

I think that no sense make DSP "core", like
ADI, TI, etc.

You can more effectively perform some task
(filtering, FFT, etc.) writing appropriate module.

DSP "core" - DSP soft
DSP module - DSP hard

i think u must't make a dsp core.Dsp is intent to digital signal processing, so you can do that wiht fpga, for example ,FFT, FIR or other arithmetic.

Black Jack is correct. I do lots of signal processing in my Xilinx Virtex II FPGAs, but I never use any "DSP core". I implement my filters, mixers, interpolators, NCOs and stuff like that using straightforward HDL. It's actually rather easy and very efficient because the Virtex II has jillions of multipliers and RAM blocks.

Clarification - I sometimes use specific DSP modules from the Xilinx "core generator". That's different from using a "DSP core" which is a full HDL implementation of some DSP chip including all its registers and opcodes.

DSP core is suitable to be developed by xilinx and altera associated with mathwork for standard core implementation through graphical interface with direct simulation result. User can freely alternate the design parameters to get the desired dsp application. However, as a user dsp application development, it is nothing worth for us to develop an DSP IP Core as xilinx or altera. We know our application and just directly go through into the details of design and get our desired result that meet our requirement.

You may refer to a book named "DSP with FPGA", it provide the basic DSP blocks can be implemented in FPGA.

I was told that all the Consumer Elec. are all implemented in DSP, because power dissipation, you see, FPGA do-nothing power is above 50mW, but FPGA give you a chance to verify your own basic arithmetic from gate level, its attractive :)

Regards,

Davy Zhu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back