Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double winding on an iron core transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I was to twist two strands of AWG 18 wire together and then use that to wind the secondary of a transformer then would:

1) The total secondary current be shared between the two individual strands?
2) Or would the the two individual strands act as two separate coils in parallel so that you get double the current?

If I was to twist two strands of AWG 18 wire together and then use that to wind the secondary of a transformer then would:

1) The total secondary current be shared between the two individual strands?
2) Or would the the two individual strands act as two separate coils in parallel so that you get double the current?

1) Total secondary current will share equally to each individual strands.
2) Two strands will be in parallel. But you can’t get double current due to two strands.

Reactions: S.NV

S.NV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
1) Total secondary current will share equally to each individual strands.
2) Two strands will be in parallel. But you can’t get double current due to two strands.

I had assumed this was the case but I thought I would double check.

I presume the energy in the magnetic field is shared between the two strands.

Compared to two individual transformers in parallel where one strand in each secondary wire gets 100% of the energy in two separate magnetic fields, and hence double the current.

For an ideal transformer, the total ampere-windings sum Σn*I is zero. Or in other words, the primary Σn*Ip is equal to (negative) secondary -∑n*Is. You get the out the energy that you put in. It doesn't matter if ∑n*Is corresponds to one or multiple windings, and if the individual windings are stranded or not.

You can have 1000 windings of unstranded wire carrying 1 A, or share the 1 A between two strands carrying 0.5 A. Total ∑n*I will be just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.