Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dose threads exists in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between threads in Linux and windows?
which operating system is powerful in case of multi threading.

Both OS's support multithreading, however native implementations differ.

I assume you are refering to POSIX threads (pthreads).

There is a "native" implementation of POSIX threads in Linux (through the pthreads library). Windows need libraries such as pthreads-w32 (POSIX Threads (pthreads) for Win32) to be able to compile POSIX threads code.

Windows thread API is different. Which is better depends on what you're trying to do. If you need to maintain or port code across different platforms then POSIX compatibility is necessary so you should probably aim to use the standard pthreads libraries. If you're building code for Windows only which doesn't need to be migrated across different platforms, it makes sense to use the native API. For a more detailed analysis on the differences you can look at: Why Windows Threads Are Better Than POSIX Threads – Blogs - Intel® Software Network

what is the difference between threads in Linux and windows?
The difference is in implementation. Linux uses NPTL( Native POSIX threads library) an implementation of POSIX standard threads.
There is also an implementation of Linux threads( IIRC )

And now The Kernel Threads are also available in Linux.

which operating system is powerful in case of multi threading.
There is a Lot of things matters for Thread performance. As an example AIX is very poor for Threads As I was told by AIX fellows.

If You are looking for something under Linux analogous Windows thread then I don't think there is anything similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.