Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Multiple channel Buck converter in general has lower Power Eff compared to Single Channel Buck converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken_feet

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI all,
Is there a general understanding that a multi channel buck converter has a lower Power Efficiency compared to single channel buck converter? I am seeing a Power efficiency of around 80% for a multi channel buck converter with Vin=12V, Vout=1.2V at Iout=0.5A.
However my quick checks on a few single channel buck converter does not show a significant improvement in Power efficiency. There are just too many of them and I am just concern that I have not check enough.
In terms of buck converter, is there any other manufacturer other than Analog Devices and TI that I could check up on? Thanks.
Best rgds,
CF

HI all,
Is there a general understanding that a multi channel buck converter has a lower Power Efficiency compared to single channel buck converter? I am seeing a Power efficiency of around 80% for a multi channel buck converter with Vin=12V, Vout=1.2V at Iout=0.5A.
However my quick checks on a few single channel buck converter does not show a significant improvement in Power efficiency. There are just too many of them and I am just concern that I have not check enough.
In terms of buck converter, is there any other manufacturer other than Analog Devices and TI that I could check up on? Thanks.
Best rgds,
CF
You can go for multi channel buck incase you have high power requirement where you can improve the overall efficiency by sharing the load. Also you do get benefit of input & output current ripple cancellation lowering the rms current requirement. I don' see y u should go for multichannel when you have such a low power application adding up unnecessary switching losses

Apart from analog devices ,TI.for buck converter. You can check on Onsemi ,ST aswell as Micrel also.

If power is high, the a multi channel buck will be more efficient, because your overall i^2.R losses will be lower. (since the current is split up into multiple channels)

Status
Not open for further replies.