Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does it possible to send IR under the sunlight environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

napong

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does it possible to send IR under the sunlight environment?
If it possible, how far could it be?
Thanks for any comment.

yes

I have done it. Several things have to be done. The sun will produce a continuous current which has shot noise.

1. You have to minimize this by having an IR filter on the detector. Putting a tube around it to shade it from the sun helps. It further helps to have a lens in front to further narrow the response angle.

2. You then have to use a high frequency AC signal. 500 kHz in my case. This allows the receive amplifiers to have a very high low end cutoff to remove the shot noise which has a 1/f type spectrum in this case.

3. You have to design the transmission system to modulate the 500 kHz signal for your data. FSK is very good and use a PLL decoder. You can get continuous phase by having a vco in the transmitter or divide a higher frequency down by two integers and band pass filtering.

Hi napong,

the distance you can reach depends on the transmitting power (one or more IR-LED's, current through the LED's) and the receiver sensitivity. Many years ago we built a communication system with a carrier frequency of 42kHz, using two TX LED's (SFH-type) with an opening angle of 18° and an integrated IR receiver. The maximum distance is about 15 meters indoor (no excessive sunlight) and about 4 meters outdoor with strong sunlight.

Bye

Re: yes

flatulent said:
I have done it. Several things have to be done. The sun will produce a continuous current which has shot noise.

1. You have to minimize this by having an IR filter on the detector. Putting a tube around it to shade it from the sun helps. It further helps to have a lens in front to further narrow the response angle.

2. You then have to use a high frequency AC signal. 500 kHz in my case. This allows the receive amplifiers to have a very high low end cutoff to remove the shot noise which has a 1/f type spectrum in this case.

3. You have to design the transmission system to modulate the 500 kHz signal for your data. FSK is very good and use a PLL decoder. You can get continuous phase by having a vco in the transmitter or divide a higher
frequency down by two integers and band pass filtering.

good idea i have done same thing in past when i made audio data link
regards
Fragrance

ir

hi ... have a look here: **broken link removed**
nice link abt ir data long haul ...

regards

cancel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com