Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know how to change the name of a USB device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ftdibus.sys edit

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to change the name of a USB device which is build on top of FTDI FT232BM chip with a 93C46 EEPROM? I know there is a program called MProg by FTDI chip but the problem is even I flash the EEPROM and change the name, it is still seen as a USB Serial Converter when I install the VCP Driver. Anyone knows more about this? I want to make it so that everytime I plug in the device and it will show as the name I specified to it.

Thanks heaps! :eek:

Regards,
Eric

You have to edit the *.inf files. (Plain text files) You will find the names in there. You will find them in the directory where you unzipped the drivers. You might have to update the driver afterwards.

HI.
I had the same problem. I used the MProg, and reprogramed the IC.
But by me when i insert the device and it's driver is not installed, it shows me what i wrote inside of it.

In control pannel, the text is same as by you: usb <>serial.
That can't be canged whatever you do.

Hi,

I think it don't be renamed. Because in the driver, it was specified a serial port device.

Of course you can change the name displayed!
Extract from 'ftdibus.inf' at the bottom of the file.

;---------------------------------------------------------------;
; For Win2000 ...
;

[FtdiBus.NT]
CopyFiles=FtdiBus.NT.Copy,FtdiBus.NT.Copy2
AddReg=FtdiBus.NT.AddReg,FtdiBusUnInst.NT.Reg

[FtdiBus.NT.Services]
AddService = FTDIBUS, 0x00000002, FtdiBus_AddService

[FtdiBus_AddService]
DisplayName = %FtdiBus.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %10%\system32\drivers\ftdibus.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Base
AddReg = FtdiBus_AddService.AddReg

[FtdiBus.NT.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,ftdibus.sys

[FtdiBus_AddService.AddReg]
HKR,Parameters,"MaximumTransferSize",0x10001,4096
HKR,Parameters,"DebugLevel",0x10001,2

[FtdiBus.NT.Copy]
ftdibus.sys

[FtdiBus.NT.Copy2]
ftdiunin.exe
ftdiun2k.ini

[FtdiBusUnInst.NT.Reg]
HKLM,%WINUN%,"FTDICOMM"
HKLM,%WINUN%\FTDICOMM , "UninstallString",,"%11%\ftdiunin.exe %11%\ftdiun2k.ini"
HKLM,%WINUN%\FTDICOMM , "DisplayName",,"FTDI USB Serial Converter Drivers"

;---------------------------------------------------------------;

[Strings]
Ftdi="FTDI"
DriversDisk="FTDI USB Drivers Disk"
USB\VID_0403&PID_8372.DeviceDesc="USB Serial Converter"
USB\VID_0403&PID_6001.DeviceDesc="USB High Speed Serial Converter"
WINUN="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"
FtdiBus.SvcDesc="USB Serial Converter Driver"

Just change the strings to what you want! If you have your own PID, add this:
USB\VID_0403&PID_XXXX.DeviceDesc="My Cool USB Thingy"

I think you will have to use D2XX drivers instead of the VCP driver.
The VCP driver emulates a COM port and that's why it will be listed as USB<>COM port.

I think it don't be renamed. Because the Device name was write in the Rom of USB device controller.
It is the write only.

Can I use the FT232 or the FT245 to build something different of a USB<>Serial ?
Maybe something like a sound card or a web cam ? Or the only way that the computer can recognize that ICs is like a serial bridge ?

Thanks.

in the firmware of mcu id of vendor and device is saved. in the enumeration phase mcu sends these information to windows. windows searches in its database for such values to find a suitable driver, then it loads it to memory. as others also pointed, information about name of device has been saved in .inf file that windows asks for in time of installation, and can be changed.

in the case of FT232, FT232 is the actual USB device that computer sees, it takes care of all protocol layers including and it saves the vendor and product id in the E2PROM which can not be called firmware in this case. but as I said device name has nothing to do with usb device. it only provides ids and it is the windows who decides which name should be given to this particular id.

Status
Not open for further replies.