DO we need a Transceiver in Ground Stn to listen to other LEO satellites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavannanduri

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, please can anyone clarify on these points?

inorder to build a Ground Station to listen to all Low Earth Orbit Satellites/ Nano Satellites
we should be atleast having

an Yagi Antenna with rotor and polarization controlling setup connected to PC

do we need a transceiver as well to listen to the other satellites??

or the antenna setup will be sufficient?

I am not deploying satellite into the space at the moment..but i just want to listen to the other cubesat/nanosats or LEOs that are there in the space..dont want to communicate or send/recieve any data..at that point of time do we really need a one? thats my question..hope i have made it clear

can we go for a made one? or can we assemble one..so that we can minimise the total cost? any details about kenwood TS-2000 transceiver or anyother available ones in market ?

anyway i can manage that with a good superhet receiver right! true..thanks for your info..

Depending on type of communication, in many cases is a simple receiver enough if you have a antenna with high gain. For weather satellites can you buy cheap receiver kits which connects to PC sound-card.
High antenna gain => narrow lobe => Tracking helps to keep contact a bit longer time.
Many LEO satellites communicate in a narrow band mode and is moving in high and very variable speed relative base station => Receiver needs to track center frequency due to Doppler-effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…