Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distance calculation using IR sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagi

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can smbdy tell a schematic using ir sensors to measure distance between object wid a least count of 1 or say 2-3 mm

Re: distance calculation

Een i ahve doubt ?

i want to know how can i use leds,ir leds,photo transistors to know the distance between two walls and the bot (like in micromouse)...also how can u use to it to detect the distance the presence od another bot(like in robowars)..does anybody has schematic diagram, for it

the basic priciple for distance calculation is by calculating the time between the pulse emitted from a transmitter and pulse received by the the receiver.
say if transmitter and receiver placed at same location and distance between the tranceiver and the object is 'd' then the distance travelled by the pulse is 2d .
knowing the light speed and time travelled , u can find out distance travelled.
the distance travelled devide by 2 is the distance of the object from the transceiver,

u can use UHF sensor instead of IR .

distance calculation

I don't think you're going to get 1-2mm accuracy using an IR sensor. Not many devices can sense that accuratly.

so what other alternatives we have..because wht rosarioantony is suggesting is i think is not possible for the accuracy intended...

To use the ultrasonic, calculate time of reflecting.

distance calculation

Abient air temperature, humidity and presure will affect ultrasonic readings to the point where they can't really be accuratly calibrated.

as far as i know, the distance measurement wont work if we try to calculate the time for the light to travel b/w the walls. since it will be in mocroseconds (even in picoseconds also). so accurately measuring it would be practically impossible.
since we cannot design counters to count such minute delays. better go for other alternatives like RF transmission and reception

Added after 1 hours 27 minutes:

see this article
h**p://dataweek.co.za/news.aspx?pklNewsId=8232&pklIssueId=282&pklCategoryID=39
this may be useful

distance calculation

Ivar, RF energy travels at only slightly slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. If you can measure it with RF signals, you can measure it with light signals.

I am sure distance can be tracked accurately will a few cms using IR as Sharp sensors do it already...

Infact, I want to build something like that myself instead of buying the readymade Sharp sensors...

Anyone interested ?

Status
Not open for further replies.