Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

displays used for displaying data from microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaus9952083382

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what are the different methods of displaying data from a microcontroller (sensor data and control data obtained from a system)...... i have seen a few..... like lcd display, 7 segment display etc........ but confused ........ abt what to use and when to use......

there are several types of displays available LCD 7 seg display Glcd etc(this you know already ). now for deciding what to use when .it all depends upon type of data your project is generating . if you can control the data you can send to the display device then use7 seg or suppose in your programming you can generate ascii codes then you can use 16X2 lcd(as the controller on 16X2 lcd display understand only ascii codes) or if you have to display graphs then you will have to choose a graphical display . it also depends upon the cost 7 seg is cheap lcd is li'l bit costly and graphical display are still costlier
now if you could share what is your project and what you want to display then i guess i can tell you exactly what type of display you can go for .

thank you buddy .... actually i want to take temperature and humidity data from a closed chamber and display its value as well as want to display it graphically ........ i am planning to have a constant real time data monitoring .... can i also display the inside of the process through a camera ..... actually the environment is dusty and rugged

https://in.element14.com/
this is a great website where you can get all the information about the type of components available
from here you can also choose and order device which suites your requirement

I will like to share some of the points about the display selection, here is the thought about the display used in the design of embedded system -

1) Refresh rate - a display had one of the constraint called as refresh rate i.e. the display gives flicker effect to human eye if one dose not maintain the refresh rate of display less than the persistence time of the human eye, most of the industrial display let say laptop screen for an example has generally 60 Hz refresh rate... Now taking about the either seven segment display or LCD display used in the embedded application need to maintain at least 16 mili-sec ( Please check this number ) of the refresh rate even less than that will be better... generally LCD display has higher persistence time ... so one can reduce the refresh time a bit .... in the application that I had used has 7 segment display I kept time of refresh at 3.2 milisecond...

2) I/O capacity of hardware - when some one want to use the display ...it need the circuit if one study the circuit of 4 seven segment display with precision point shifting precision point then one need 7 I/o for seven segment + 4 control line for selection of display and 3 I/o lines for dot thus give number as 14.....where as seven segment element increases in the panel then no of control pin and precision pin increases in the hardware now in case of LCD 2x16 char display one can use only 4 data line + 3 control lines total pin count = 7 or maximum 8 I/0 + 3 control lines = 11 display pins.....

3) Computational time and accuracy in the refresh rate- when some one want to do heavy computation and then display it on display then naturally display get more refresh time so LCD become the natural choice ....where as some body want to do the computation less and fast display the results better will be to use seven segment with interrupt time method

4) Cost- 7 segment display in comparison with LCD display are cheaper that is if one work out the cost of 4 7 segment display with transistor control hardware then it will be in the order of maximum INR 70 with good choice of component where as a single unit of LCD come around INR 120 for 16x2 line LCD....almost double

5) Brightness - As seven segment displays are LED based display i.e. emissive display have higher brightness and clear visual perception for numbers than LCD display for similar specifications

6) Application - If the application requires to have characters in the display in the message then LCD is natural choice other wise one need to select the 14 segment character display ...however with 7 segment display one can display few character like C E A F etc...with out having ambiguity in the numbers

7) Power consumption - LCD have more power consumption than the LED display to maintain comparative brightness...

I hope these points help you the find right choice for your selection of display...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.