Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discussion about CMFB in LVDS drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

avt

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

for the start - I want to discuss CMFB in lvds drivers - as reference find attached the IEEE standard an the Boni LVDS driver paper :

My first question is - is the CMFB realy used to suppress disturbances cvoming into the output of the driver by the CMFB - even at frequencies of some MHZ or in the relevant of some 100 MHz.

Second question : In the IEEE-Standard (page 12, Figure 3-10) one finds a test for suppressing common signals coming into the output. Here specia care is towards transformation into differential signals - but this might be also of some concern, if you use a cmfb.
Obviuously there is no chance to reach with a current moder approach like the one used in Bonis paper single-ended termination resistances as described in the IEEE stadard - of 40 to 140 ohm (because one uses current sources - and my mosfets wit 1um length have some 10 kohm (gd) - so no adaption - and this means reflection. Further on the standard uses a quite huge capacitance (33nF) - this totaly disturbs in my case - when simulationg the circuit with "stb" in spectre the loop gain - and by this the suppression of high frequency common mode signals . So please be so kind - tell me what is realy the purpose of the cmfb - only to set up a "DC" voltage - and what can one do in order to fulfill then the requests of the IEEE standard in chapter 3.2.3 and 3.2.4. - last remark - as far as I fugured out my implementation of the circuit has a not so neat effects - in the range of 10 MHz and above it translates the common mode distrubance into a differential signal in the FIgure 3-10 test - I think this is realy not wanted ...

Ok - this was a lot of stuff - hope that someone even though is willing to start a discussion - at least about the use of cmfb in lvds drivers (only a DC-narrow-band setup circuit - but what about damping of common-mode-signals on the line then - without any good termination ???) - quite confused ...

Status
Not open for further replies.