Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discontinuity effect!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijitrc

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a problem that i faced discontinuity problem in my active multiplier((x3) at 17GHz) design: the device i had chosen is PHEMT whose lead width is 0.625mm( gate and drain) but i have to choose 10 mil substrate( alumina 9.8 permitivity), since the line width is 0.25mm and the device lead width is 0.625mm, i hope due to discontinuity i am not able to get a proper conversion loss/gain whatever! plz suggest what i have to do against this!!!!

I don't think so.. Since your line is discontinued just at the gate/drain, this won't create any problem.
Because small signal and large signal models have been defined at reference point that is component pad land.So, when you design your circuit, you will already reach to this reference point and the circuit
will work.

Last edited:

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree, most of the models are defined at the reference point, but I found that always is room for improving the performance if I design the layout in a manner to minimize the discontinuity effect. Especially when the circuit works at microwave frequencies.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Generally we use absorbers in the RF package to avoid any oscillations!, can any body guide me regarding the composition of absorbers and how the absorber works to avoid oscillations!!
2. can oscillations due to DC can be avoided by using absorber.!!

I have seen strong oscillations in my package, due to RF leakage through DC feedback!!
Plz guide me.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the surface current in the package!! can the use of absorber is useful to supress the surface current?

Status
Not open for further replies.