Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Diode Reverse Bias Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobler

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
noob question: I tested a diode fwd bias circuit measuring 12mA. When I applied negative voltage, I am expecting a very small I reading. The source meter can be set to negative voltage. Why am I seeing a negative current value? If I tried to swap polarity of voltage (and sourcemeter set to +V), the current is small but positive. Any ideas? thanks

How much current does your meter read under reverse bias? If its no too much, its pretty much usual, else you have broken diode due to reverse voltage breakdown!!

Small reverse bias current is inherent in diodes due to leakage current in opposite direction.

Hope this helps

Reactions: noobler

noobler

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Im using a Keithley 236 as sourcemeter (nA resolution) and I want to minimize connect/disconnect. Setting it to -1V then gives me a negative current, around -60nA to -2nA. When I reversed the wiring and voltage (+1V setting on SM) I get 2-10nA. I dont get it why I get two different readings?

That's because characteristic curve of diode is not same on either side. So even if you apply same voltage with different polarity, you can not expect same current flowing across.

BTW, which diode are you testing? Its worth while to have a look at datasheet specs.

Reactions: noobler

noobler

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
its a part of an MIC. test spec limit is 200nA. I am not sure on what setup I will use.

---------- Post added at 03:51 ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 ----------

I just did a sweep from +1 to -1 with 0.1 step @1sec delay. Thanks Jack for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.