Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Din rail Optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I need to isolate a couple of inputs using a din rail optocoupler. My question is I assume I need to fit series resistor to the input of the opto as you would with a standard pcb opto , what is the normal way of fitting a resistor to a din rail mounted opto ?

DIN rail optocpouplers are usually designed to work with standard control voltage in automation systems, e.g. 24V and don't need external ersistorr. Why don't you read a datasheet?

ANywhere in series, if none is included. Depending on opto CTR to bias 1V input IR diode with series R to meet product spec , use Ohm's Law to choose R with drive voltage minus 1V for IR LED and draw required current.

E.g. 8.5mA from 5V to Opto +
5-1= 4V 4V/8.5mA = 470 Ω R in series. for low level drive.

Or... 0V to Opto - input and high level drive ( inverted to above) with 5V logic and 470R in series.
Logic often has 50R internal series R so 420Ω external R will result in desired input current to achieve maximum out rated current ( e.g. 100mA) of DIN device.

DIN rail optocpouplers are usually designed to work with standard control voltage in automation systems, e.g. 24V and don't need external ersistorr. Why don't you read a datasheet?

The data sheet isn't actually very clear **broken link removed**. It states a nominal control current of 7ma . It doesn't mention a urrent limiting resistor anywere and the schematic drawings don't have one either

Status
Not open for further replies.